I put this mini primer together for a friend, and it seemed a waste not to share it with everyone.
This is by *no means* an exhaustive list, but it touches on a lot of contextual, historical proof of how racism is systemic, not just about a bunch of dudes in white sheets. There is also some more recent cultural commentary, with an emphasis on racism in the LGBTQ community.
Check back often - this resource will grow. Add your own suggestions in the comments.
GENERAL SUGGESTION: Get more active on Twitter, and diversify your timeline. Follow the writers and creators whose names you see below. Start there, and keep following other experts on the Black experience as they pop up. (Remember to read and listen more than you respond!)
White Noise Collective has tons of resources for having conversations about race with white people.
Facts about the criminal justice system's disproportionate targeting of Black Americans (NAACP)
School to prison pipeline stuff, since it starts when they're literal babies, and the general unfair incarceration of Black people:
- School to Prison Pipeline Explained
- "Black Girls are Twice As Likely to Be Suspended, In Every State"
- "40 Reasons Our Jails Are Full of Poor Black People"
- Racial injustice on death row
- The Evolution: Slavery to Mass Incarceration"
How systemic racism affects society:
- Millions of Black voters purged from voter rolls
- Segregation perpetuated by realtors
- The wage gap for Black women
- Racism in healthcare
Racism in the LGBT community:
- "Pride is Still an Elitist White Gay Fantasy" by Phillip Henry
- "Gay Bars Can Be Mind-Bogglingly Racist" by Mikelle Street
- Gurl, Am I Appropriating Black Women?
Some essays by awesome people that give tons of great commentary:
- "So You Want To Fight White Supremacy" by Ijeoma Oluo
- "Welcome to the Anti-Racism Movement - Here's What You've Missed" by Ijeoma Oluo (She is amazing, follow her everywhere)
- "Not All White People: A Definitive Disclaimer" by Monique Judge (another great follow on Twitter)
Awesome podcasts to check out:
- Seeing White: massive podcast documentary about race. (Thanks to Carolyn A. for this one)
- Small Doses w/ Amanda Seales: "Side Effects of White Women" episode
- The Read - lighthearted fun but also righteous anger when the time calls for it! Hosts are Black and queer.
- Still Processing - hosted by 2 Black queer NYTimes culture writers
Also - "Decoded" on YouTube! Bite-sized chats about racism and the like.
Movies to watch:
Books to read:
WHAT DID I MISS? Share your resources below if you'd like, and I will add them to this list.